Table of Contents Hide
- Overview of the Alix Earle Scholarship
- Eligibility Requirements for the Alix Earle Scholarship
- How to Apply for the Alix Earle Scholarship
- Application Timeline for the Alix Earle Scholarship
- Selection Criteria for the Alix Earle Scholarship
- Scholarship Award for the Alix Earle Scholarship
- Alix Earle Scholarship Key Facts
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Who was Alix Earle and why was this scholarship created?
- Who is eligible to apply?
- What is the application deadline?
- What materials are required for the application?
- How are recipients selected?
- What is the award amount and how is it paid?
- Is this scholarship renewable?
- What if my question was not answered here?
The Alix Earle Scholarship is an annual scholarship opportunity available to high school seniors and current college students in the United States. With an award amount of $1,500, this scholarship helps students fund their college education and relieve the financial burden that comes with higher education.
In this complete guide, we will cover everything you need to know about the Alix Earle Scholarship, including eligibility requirements, how to apply, application timeline, selection criteria, and FAQs.
Overview of the Alix Earle Scholarship
The Alix Earle Scholarship was established in 2013 to honor Alix Earle, a dedicated teacher and mentor who passed away in 2012. Alix taught English at a public high school in Oregon for over 30 years and made a tremendous positive impact on her students.
This memorial scholarship was created by Alix’s family, friends, and colleagues to continue her legacy of supporting students in their educational journeys. The scholarship is administered by the local community foundation and awarded annually to one student who shares Alix’s qualities of academic excellence, passion for learning, and commitment to community service.
The Alix Earle Scholarship award amount is $1,500 to help cover college costs such as tuition, books, lab fees, and on-campus housing. The scholarship can be used at any accredited two-year or four-year college or university in the United States.
Eligibility Requirements for the Alix Earle Scholarship
To be eligible for the Alix Earle Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Current high school senior or undergraduate college student
- United States citizen or permanent legal resident
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Planning to enroll full-time at an accredited two-year or four-year college/university in the upcoming academic year
- Demonstrated passion for learning and community service
Both high school seniors and current college students may apply for this scholarship opportunity. The scholarship is a one-time award and is not renewable.
While financial need is considered, it is not the primary factor for selection. This scholarship recognizes students who embody Alix’s spirit of academic excellence and service to others.
How to Apply for the Alix Earle Scholarship
Applying for the Alix Earle Scholarship is a straightforward process. The application typically opens in early winter and has a firm spring deadline annually.
Follow these steps to submit a complete application:
- Review eligibility criteria – Confirm you meet all requirements before applying.
- Gather materials – Have electronic copies of your transcript, test scores, FAFSA Student Aid Report, letters of recommendation, and any other required documents ready to upload.
- Complete online form – Fill out all required sections and upload supporting documents through the online portal.
- Write essays – Craft thoughtful responses to the required personal statements and essay prompts.
- Submit application – Review your application for completeness and accuracy before the firm deadline.
In addition to basic personal and academic information, you will need to provide:
- Official high school or college transcript
- Standardized test scores (ACT or SAT)
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal statements on academic/career goals and community service experiences
- Essay responding to a specific annual prompt
Be sure to follow all directions closely and submit a polished, complete application by the deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Application Timeline for the Alix Earle Scholarship
The Alix Earle Scholarship application timeline is:
- December 1 – Online application opens
- February 15 – Firm application deadline
- March-April – Applications reviewed by selection committee
- May 1 – Scholarship recipient notified
- June – Scholarship award dispersed for following academic year
Mark your calendar and be sure to apply early. Do not wait until the last minute to submit your application in case anything goes wrong. late applications will not be accepted.
Allow plenty of time to request letters of recommendation and official transcripts, write quality essays, and have someone proofread your full application before the February deadline.
Selection Criteria for the Alix Earle Scholarship
The Alix Earle Scholarship selection committee looks for well-rounded students who share Alix’s commitment to learning and community. They use a rubric to evaluate applicants based on:
- Academic achievement – Strength of GPA, coursework, test scores
- Essay responses – Thoughtfulness, writing skills, uniqueness
- Letters of recommendation – Insights into character, abilities, potential
- Extracurricular activities – Community service, clubs, sports, arts, etc.
- Financial need – Resources available via FAFSA report
Top candidates will exemplify Alix’s qualities of academic rigor, curiosity, service, persistence, and compassion. Preference is given to those majoring in English or Education, however all eligible majors will be considered.
The selection committee looks for students who will best uphold Alix Earle’s legacy through their passion for learning and helping others. The application essays and letters of recommendation provide insight into the student’s character and potential beyond just grades and test scores.
Scholarship Award for the Alix Earle Scholarship
The Alix Earle Scholarship provides a one-time award of $1,500 to one recipient annually.
The $1,500 scholarship check will be made payable directly to the accredited college or university that the recipient will attend during the upcoming academic year. These scholarship funds may be used to cover tuition, housing, books, laboratory fees, and other qualified educational expenses.
The award recipient will be notified by phone and email by May 1. The award will be formally announced at the local community foundation’s annual scholarship reception in early June.
The $1,500 scholarship award will be dispersed directly to the recipient’s college in August before the new school year begins.
Alix Earle Scholarship Key Facts
- Award amount: $1,500
- Application opens: December 1
- Deadline: February 15
- Eligibility: High school seniors and college students, 3.0+ GPA
- Use of funds: College tuition and related expenses
- Application portal: Community foundation website
The Alix Earle Scholarship recognizes a student who embodies the same passion for education, sense of community, and perseverance that Alix brought to her decades of teaching. If you are committed to academic excellence and making a positive impact on others, apply for this $1,500 award to help fund your college education.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some common questions about the Alix Earle Scholarship:
Who was Alix Earle and why was this scholarship created?
Alix Earle was a beloved high school English teacher and mentor in Oregon for over 30 years. She had a passion for education and helping students reach their full potential. This scholarship was established by her family and colleagues after she passed away to continue her legacy of supporting students.
Who is eligible to apply?
This scholarship is open to current high school seniors and undergraduate college students who are United States citizens or permanent residents with a 3.0 GPA or higher planning to enroll full-time in an accredited two-year or four-year college in the upcoming academic year.
What is the application deadline?
The application deadline is February 15 each year. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
What materials are required for the application?
Applicants need to submit the online form, current transcript, standardized test scores, FAFSA Student Aid Report, two letters of recommendation, essays, and any other required materials specified on the application portal.
How are recipients selected?
A selection committee reviews and scores all complete, eligible applications based on academic achievement, essay responses, letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities, and financial need. The student who best embodies Alix Earle’s qualities will be chosen.
What is the award amount and how is it paid?
The scholarship award amount is $1,500. The funds will be directly dispersed to the accredited college or university the recipient will attend to cover tuition, housing, books, fees, and other educational expenses.
Is this scholarship renewable?
No, the Alix Earle Scholarship is a one-time, non-renewable award. Recipients may reapply for other future scholarships through the community foundation.
What if my question was not answered here?
Please contact the community foundation directly at [email] or [phone] if you have any other questions about eligibility, the application process, selection criteria, or scholarship administration.